does agility mean quick results?

  • Steve Howell
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2003
      If you're truly agile at software development, should you be able to
      always provide releasable business value to a customer after just one
      one-week iteration?

      How much of your answer depends on the customer?

      How much screening do folks do to make sure their customers are as agile
      as the developers?
    • Edmund Schweppe
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2003
        Steve Howell wrote:

        > If you're truly agile at software development, should you be able to
        > always provide releasable business value to a customer after just one
        > one-week iteration?

        Usually? Yes. Always? No. (Suppose a vital bit of hardware just doesn't
        arrive during that first week?)

        More importantly, perhaps: should the Customer *always* release to
        production whenever the Developers have something that's releasable? I'd
        say no; just because Development has come up with something of
        releasable business value doesn't mean that the value is greater than
        the transition cost ...

      • Dale Emery
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 30, 2003
          Hi Steve,

          > How much screening do folks do to make sure their customers
          > are as agile as the developers?

          I don't understand what you mean by customers being agile, or
          what value you see in customers being as agile as the developers.

          Dale

          --
          Dale Emery -- Consultant -- Resistance as a Resource
          Web: http://www.dhemery.com

          All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they
          really happened. --Ernest Hemingway
        • Robert C. Martin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
            Releasable business value at the end of each iteration is probably not
            realistic in all cases. However, you should always be able to demonstrate a
            feature, or part of a feature at the end of every iteration. More
            importantly, each iteration should increase the number of passing acceptance
            tests.

            The best case is when you have a customer that is willing to interact with
            you on a daily basis. The less your customer interacts with you, the more
            you have to replace that customer with a surrogate from your own team who
            *will* interact with you daily. The longer the gaps between customer
            interaction, the more risk for the project. You have to be the judge of how
            much risk you are willing to take.

            -----
            Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)
            Object Mentor Inc.