[extremeprogramming] Re: Big Design Up Front

  • Donald McLean
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2000
      On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Robert C. Martin wrote:

> [...]

      Technically, it is illegal to start coding prior to acceptance of the
      design. I only work on this project part time as I WearManyHats,
      so, outside of laying out the high level abstractions I would rather
      not spend my time messing with mountains-o-UML documents, especially
      since I understand what the software wants pretty well (I wrote a
      prototype which is being used temporarily as production code).

      > This is all part of Parnas' notion (that Booch quotes so frequently)
      > that software cannot be designed rationally up front, but it is possible
      > to pretend as if it were. While we are creating the software, we can
      > generate the nice rational diagrams that everybody thought ought to be
      > generated up front.

      I'll buy this part. The deeper I get into the development process, the
      better I understand what the software needs and the better design
      documents I can produce.

      Donald McLean
      dmclean@...