Re: [XP] RE: XP what makes a good XP Test Plan?

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003
      Travis Fremming wrote:

      > I have a test plan I have been using for about a year now. I brought
      > it with me to a new job that uses XP. Some of the comments I have
      > gotten is that it is too long and is a waste of time to read. As
      > a "customer" I want to detail out what is being tested, how it is
      > being tested and why it is being tested.
      >
      > Does anyone have any feedback on this? Thanks, Travis

      A question: why do you want those things? What purpose do they serve? It
      seems that whoever is being asked to read it doesn't need to know what's
      in there, so would it be OK if you just carried it around in your head,
      for example?
      --
      J. B. Rainsberger,
      Diaspar Software Services
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003
        Travis Fremming wrote:

        > I have a test plan I have been using for about a year now. I brought
        > it with me to a new job that uses XP. Some of the comments I have
        > gotten is that it is too long and is a waste of time to read. As
        > a "customer" I want to detail out what is being tested, how it is
        > being tested and why it is being tested.
        >
        > Does anyone have any feedback on this? Thanks, Travis

        It seems to me that if you can carry a test plan from one job to another, it is not a plan, it is a methodology. XP is also a
        methodology and its testing practices are fairly well documented in various books and web sites. I am guessing that the people who
        read your plan already have a pretty good idea of how they want their application to be tested.

        Personally, the kind of test plan I would like to see on an XP project is:
        -a brief description of the unit testing framework that will be used and pointers on FAQ's on how to use it.
        -a brief description of how customer tests will be executed (home grown tool, off the shelf tool, other...)

        Then again, these things can easily be discussed verbally in a stand up meeting... The details about the unit testing framework are
        communicated through pair programming...

        As others have answered, I would also like to see your plan...
      • Amir Kolsky
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
          Travis,
          are you a tester? Developer? What is your role in the organization?

          Amir