Re: [XP] Re: redundant code

  • George Paci
    Message 1 of 37 , Dec 1, 2003
      WILLIAMS Dominic wrote:

      > Well, it seems to me it /can/ be automated, and I have started working
      >
      > on an experimental tool with precisely that aim. My thinking is that
      > by mutating code (including "deletion" as a mutation), and seeing what
      > that does to /acceptance tests/ (not just unit tests), you could
      > detect that something needs attention. The tool will /highlight/ code
      > that can be mutated without breaking acceptance tests, and let the
      > programmer either add acceptance tests or automatically delete the
      > code.
      >
      > Does that sound like it would answer the problem?

      You might want to take a look at Jester:

      http://jester.sourceforge.net/

      (as opposed to http://www.geocities.com/xtremetesting/anecdotes.html )

      --George

      There is nothing to be found in a beehive that is not submerged in a
      bee. And yet you can search a bee forever with cyclotron and
      fluoroscope, and you will never find a hive. --Kevin Kelly
    • George Paci
      Message 37 of 37 , Dec 1, 2003