Re: [XP] Agile tools for python?

  • Brian Christopher Robinson
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
      On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 yahoogroups@... wrote:

      > I've heard good reports about a Python plugin for Eclipse; that's
      > probably the way to go if you're going to use Jython (the Python
      > port to Java.) BRM does not, to the best of my knowledge, support
      > any of the Eclipse plugins. Beyond that, I can't say.

      I've used the Python plugin for Eclipse but don't like it much. It will
      allow you to write some code and run it, but that's about it. There's
      no refactoring support and I had some formatting problems, I think due
      to the autoformatting putting in spaces instead of tabs or vice versa.
      For Python I prefer IDLE, though it's far from perfect.

      --
      Without requirements, the program is done now. - Ron Jeffries
    • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
        > > I've heard good reports about a Python plugin for Eclipse; that's
        > > probably the way to go if you're going to use Jython (the Python
        > > port to Java.) BRM does not, to the best of my knowledge, support
        > > any of the Eclipse plugins. Beyond that, I can't say.
        >
        > I've used the Python plugin for Eclipse but don't like it much. It will
        > allow you to write some code and run it, but that's about it. There's
        > no refactoring support and I had some formatting problems, I think due
        > to the autoformatting putting in spaces instead of tabs or vice versa.
        > For Python I prefer IDLE, though it's far from perfect.

        The last I saw from the plugin registry for Eclipse, there are
        three Python plugins, although only one looks like it's being
        actively maintained. Which one did you use?

        John Roth
      • Brian Christopher Robinson
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
          On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 yahoogroups@... wrote:

          > The last I saw from the plugin registry for Eclipse, there are
          > three Python plugins, although only one looks like it's being
          > actively maintained. Which one did you use?

          I can't seem to tell from the description of the various ones at
          sourceforge. There appear to be about four there now. Do you have a
          recommendation?

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
            From: "Brian Christopher Robinson"
            <brian.c.robinson.at.ngc.com@...>
            > > The last I saw from the plugin registry for Eclipse, there are
            > > three Python plugins, although only one looks like it's being
            > > actively maintained. Which one did you use?
            >
            > I can't seem to tell from the description of the various ones at
            > sourceforge. There appear to be about four there now. Do you have a
            > recommendation?

            Unfortunately not. I haven't used any of them. It's probably a
            real good question to ask on comp.lang.python.

            John Roth

            > --
            > Without requirements, the program is done now. - Ron Jeffries

          • Changjune Kim
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003