Re: [XP] Agile tools for python?

  • Max Ischenko
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
      Duncan Booth wrote:

      >>Face it, there is no even powerful IDE
      >>available.

      > Have you used any of Komodo, BlackAdder or Wing IDE?
      >
      > They each seem to promise more than the free IDEs like Idle and PythonWin,
      > but I haven't used any of them so I don't know how they measure up. If any
      > refactoring support does come along for Python IDEs it might well appear in
      > the commercial IDEs first.

      I didn't use any of these so my option about absence of powerful IDE can
      be wrong. But I really really doubt that these could be honestly
      compared to the tools like Eclipse in any foreseeable future.

      At least, they couldn’t give much to the spoiled users of Emacs/VIM
      editors. ;-)
    • Steve Howell
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
        Bernd Schiffer wrote:

        >Hi everybody.
        >
        >I'm interested in developing in python. Therefor I'm looking for an
        >IDE with refactoring support and a xUnit framework (PyUnit?). Does
        >anyone know from experience about agile development with python? Are
        >there any agile tools?

        A friend of mine worked on an XP team that used Python, vim, and Bicycle
        Repairman as the refactoring browser. I believe his only complaint
        about Bicycle Repairman was its lack of editor integration. As he
        described it, they had to save all files and get out of the editor to do
        the refactorings. This was about a year ago, so the tool maybe has
        gotten better. Also, if you know your editor well enough, you can
        probably do some of the editor integration yourself.

        I'd say Bicycle Repairman's definitely worth a try.
      • Brian Christopher Robinson
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
          On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 yahoogroups@... wrote:

          > I've heard good reports about a Python plugin for Eclipse; that's
          > probably the way to go if you're going to use Jython (the Python
          > port to Java.) BRM does not, to the best of my knowledge, support
          > any of the Eclipse plugins. Beyond that, I can't say.

          I've used the Python plugin for Eclipse but don't like it much. It will
          allow you to write some code and run it, but that's about it. There's
          no refactoring support and I had some formatting problems, I think due
          to the autoformatting putting in spaces instead of tabs or vice versa.
          For Python I prefer IDLE, though it's far from perfect.

          --
          Without requirements, the program is done now. - Ron Jeffries
        • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
            > > I've heard good reports about a Python plugin for Eclipse; that's
            > > probably the way to go if you're going to use Jython (the Python
            > > port to Java.) BRM does not, to the best of my knowledge, support
            > > any of the Eclipse plugins. Beyond that, I can't say.
            >
            > I've used the Python plugin for Eclipse but don't like it much. It will
            > allow you to write some code and run it, but that's about it. There's
            > no refactoring support and I had some formatting problems, I think due
            > to the autoformatting putting in spaces instead of tabs or vice versa.
            > For Python I prefer IDLE, though it's far from perfect.

            The last I saw from the plugin registry for Eclipse, there are
            three Python plugins, although only one looks like it's being
            actively maintained. Which one did you use?

            John Roth
          • Brian Christopher Robinson
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
              On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 yahoogroups@... wrote:

              > The last I saw from the plugin registry for Eclipse, there are
              > three Python plugins, although only one looks like it's being
              > actively maintained. Which one did you use?

              I can't seem to tell from the description of the various ones at
              sourceforge. There appear to be about four there now. Do you have a
              recommendation?

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
                > > The last I saw from the plugin registry for Eclipse, there are
                > > three Python plugins, although only one looks like it's being
                > > actively maintained. Which one did you use?
                >
                > I can't seem to tell from the description of the various ones at
                > sourceforge. There appear to be about four there now. Do you have a
                > recommendation?

                Unfortunately not. I haven't used any of them. It's probably a
                real good question to ask on comp.lang.python.

                John Roth

                > --
                > Without requirements, the program is done now. - Ron Jeffries

              • Changjune Kim
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
                  > I'm interested in developing in python. Therefor I'm looking for an
                  > IDE with refactoring support and a xUnit framework (PyUnit?). Does
                  > anyone know from experience about agile development with python? Are
                  > there any agile tools?
                  >
                  > Bernd

                  I use IDLE along with BRM(cvs version). I don't feel very uncomfortable when
                  using this set compared to when using Eclipse. Maybe it's because the language
                  is agile.