Re: [XP] XP and Religion

  • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
    Message 1 of 215 , Nov 1, 2003
      From: "Ron Jeffries"
      <ronjeffries.at.XProgramming.com@...>
      To: "extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com"
      Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 11:44 AM
      Subject: Re: [XP] XP and Religion

      wrote:

      > > I know. I wince every time I see someone come onto the list or
      > > the newsgroup and say they're trying to implement XP from the
      > > white book.
      >
      > Right. They should implement it from the pink book. ;->
      >
      > But seriously: I wonder if a team has ever done everything in either the
      > white book or pink book, and not benefited.
      >
      > I'm very interested in what goes wrong. But I think it is more likely that
      > it goes wrong on the ground, not in the text. It's not what you read, it's
      > what you do.
      >
      > > One of the major things that could be done is give a bit of a
      > > theoretical overview of why XP practices work while plan
      > > driven practices don't. For example, it would probably be
      > > very helpful to give an elementary queueing theory analysis
      > > of plan-driven and XP, and compare them. You could show,
      > > very easily, that the problems everyone has with plan driven
      > > are inherent in the structure, and you could do it in a very
      > > solidly grounded, theoetically valid way.
      >
      > Highsmith; Poppendieck and Poppendeick; Womack and Jones. Maybe Philip
      > Amour, and David Anderson: I'm not sure yet.

      That's true if you've got the interest to pull the process apart
      and look at it. I find that the number of people that's got that
      analytical bent is quite a bit smaller than I'd like. Poppendieck
      and Poppendieck do get right down to it; Womack and Jones
      set a good deal of context but very little of it is directly
      applicable unless you've got that analytical bent that can take
      the stories out of the manufacturing context and apply them to
      the software development context. I haven't read the other
      ones yet.

      John Roth

    • xp@darksleep.com
      Message 215 of 215 , Nov 19, 2003
        Hi all,

        Just thougth I'd throw in an XP-relevant comment on this thread.

        My weight has hovered just around 270lbs since high school, even
        when I was doing martial arts seven days a week, even when I was doing
        capoeira (a highly physical, acrobatic martial art involving
        cartwheels and flips and the like). My fat/muscle balance changed,
        certainly (I sink like a rock in water), but my weight stayed the
        same.

        Oddly enough, my weight went *up* when I left a large corporate
        environment for a small startup where we did pair programming. I
        spent much more time sitting and coding, and much less time
        cubicle-crawling and schlepping to meetings.

        Of course, the fact that I traded the big corporate urban
        environs of the big coporate office for startup suburbia, and went
        from walking 5-10 blocks to an asian restaruant for lunch to hopping
        in the car and drove down the road to the greasy spoon, may have had
        something to do with it too :-).

        --
        Steven J. Owens
        puff@... / (412) 401-8060 cell / (412) 578-9817 house