Re: [XP] teams, tests, and morale

  • Ken Boucher
    Message 1 of 114 , Nov 1, 2003
      > How do managers on successful long-term XP projects foo their team
      > to be disciplined about refactoring the test code, even after the
      > test scenarios have acquired some real weight and complexity?
      >
      > Also, how does the team foo itself to keep refactoring the tests,
      > or to keep looking for ways to keep the project agile?

      Actually, as programmers, we usually recognize which tests and
      objects we're not happy with and, in the Winter of our Discontent, we
      write "refactoring cards".

      Refactoring cards can take such forms as "take 5 minutes off the unit
      test suite run time", "Refactor object foo" or "Go learn everything
      there is to learn about using mock objects instead of expensive
      database calls."

      All of these cards add business value indirectly and improve morale.
    • Keith Ray
      Message 114 of 114 , Nov 5, 2003