Re: [XP] What's the difference between CM and CVS?

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 70 , Oct 30, 2003
      Ron Jeffries wrote:

      > On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 8:26:21 AM, J. B. Rainsberger wrote:
      >

      >>The Project Management Office needs to know the diff in size between our
      >>product now and three releases ago. God knows why: there's no point to
      >>argue with them. Just do it.
      >

      > Estimate the story. Give it to the customer, let her schedule it if she
      > wants to. Here's the task list for my estimate, which was 9 minutes:
      >
      > Mount both CDs. Ask the OS for the size. Type:
      >
      > Today: 437,323,322 bytes
      > Then: 421,965,816 bytes.
      >
      > How much software should we buy or learn how to use in case some <deleted/>
      > asks us a stupid question? My starting answer is "none".

      I agree with everything you write here, except your underlying
      assumption that you have the old CD in your hot, little hands. We moved
      offices and some CDs were destroyed. Or some idiot came along and
      thought the stack of CDs in the corner was a stack of coasters -- a
      natural thought, since his department wastes tons of CDs and has their
      own stack of coasters.

      The question is: how do you reproduce that old CD? That's one of the
      points of configuration management that goes beyond plain-vanilla
      version control. How do you organize the files for your Unix and Windows
      releases, since 93% of them are identical and you don't want to ship
      Windows files with the Unix release nor Unix files with the Windows
      release. And so on.

      You can do it with Ant or make, but eventually you'll build a little
      tool to manage many of the mundane tasks for you. That's where CM
      software comes in.
      --
      J. B. Rainsberger,
      Diaspar Software Services
      Message 70 of 70 , Nov 16, 2003
        Backup and version control are logically separate issues. One may
        do copious version control and have no backups, and one may
        have backups that are not useful for version control in any way. The
        two may interact to the benefit of both. Also, change management
        and version control are usually related, but not identical issues. Again,
        one can do version control without any change management, and
        one may do change management without having any control of
        versioning.

        Everett Williams