Re: Ways XP is broken (Was:[XP] Do people prefer to fail than to admit a paradigm change?( or is XP a poisoned term? ))

    Message 1 of 75 , Nov 1, 2003
      On Saturday, November 1, 2003, at 9:08:54 AM, Keith Ray wrote:

      >> Was there no one in the company who really wanted the product?

      > The problem is partly a lack of slack. QA was scheduled for other
      > projects and not available for our project because they were scheduled
      > for other projects.

      But the product was already production quality? Did QA find serious
      problems when they got to you?

      Was there anyone at the ass end of QA waiting to receive the product? What
      happened when you slipped them a copy?

      I'm wondering whether anyone really wanted the thing, and (assuming they
      did) why they didn't want it until QA had shat upon it.

    • Roy Miller
      Message 75 of 75 , Nov 28, 2003
        > >>Ken Auer and Roy Miller propose in their book ("Extreme
        Programming
        > >>Applied", page 71), that although it is better to start with all
        12
        > >>above mentioned practices, it is also feasable to start with only
        > >>the following 6 practices. Ken and Roy call them essential
        > >>practices.
        > >
        > >>Planning Game
        > >>Small Releases
        > >>Testing
        > >>Pair Programming
        > >>Refactoring
        > >>Continuous Integration
        >
        > I interpreted this differently. I pictured them saying that, in an
        > environment that seems hostile to XP, these are the practices worth
        > fighting for just to get your foot in the door. The rest have less
        ROI
        > when you include the effort you spend trying to convince people in
        the
        > "expense" column.
        >
        > I don't think they mean that the remaining practices are candidates
        > discard on an XP project with the appropriate buy-in.
        >
        > Of course, Ken or Roy could just confirm or deny that themselves.

        Consider this confirmation, at least from me. Please do use all the
        practices when you can, but John's right. You sometimes need to pick
        your battles. Win the first set of battles, then move on to the next
        set. I think you'll like the results.

        Roy