Re: [XP] XP and Religion

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 215 , Nov 1, 2003
      Ron Jeffries wrote:

      > On Friday, October 31, 2003, at 7:56:59 PM, J. B. Rainsberger wrote:
      >
      >>So here are the opposing forces.
      >>1. I would never write seriously about how to do XP, since I haven't
      >>done enough XP.
      >>2. Since I haven't done enough XP, I have to follow XP by the book
      >>before I bend it.
      >>3. If I don't bend XP, apparently I am dogmatic and therefore not Agile.
      >>Stop the ride... I want to get off.
      >
      > Thing is, whatever we know, there is stuff outside. What we know provides
      > some stability in the fact of change in what we do. There is always some
      > possible change, some possible difference from what we know, that seems to
      > be more than our skills are sure to stabilize. So we fear to go there. We
      > become dogmatic.

      I don't know that I see that as dogmatic, unless I'm just not able to
      separate the book definition of the term from the emotionally-charged
      one I have in my head.

      cautious == dogmatic?

      > To step far outside one's capabilities, into /real/ danger? Is that
      > courage, or stupidity? I think it's stupidity. I'm brave enough to go a bit
      > beyond where I've been before ... but I won't go /there/.

      ...certainly not all once, anyway. Bit by bit, perhaps. But as I wrote
      previously, I want to feel some damn success first. That's why I got
      into XP in the first place: it looked like a path down which I could
      find success. I want that. I'm greedy that way.

      After I've succeeded a few times, then it's on to the Next Big Thing, I
      guess.
      --
      J. B. Rainsberger,
      Diaspar Software Services
      Message 215 of 215 , Nov 19, 2003
        Hi all,

        Just thougth I'd throw in an XP-relevant comment on this thread.

        My weight has hovered just around 270lbs since high school, even
        when I was doing martial arts seven days a week, even when I was doing
        capoeira (a highly physical, acrobatic martial art involving
        cartwheels and flips and the like). My fat/muscle balance changed,
        certainly (I sink like a rock in water), but my weight stayed the
        same.

        Oddly enough, my weight went *up* when I left a large corporate
        environment for a small startup where we did pair programming. I
        spent much more time sitting and coding, and much less time
        cubicle-crawling and schlepping to meetings.

        Of course, the fact that I traded the big corporate urban
        environs of the big coporate office for startup suburbia, and went
        from walking 5-10 blocks to an asian restaruant for lunch to hopping
        in the car and drove down the road to the greasy spoon, may have had
        something to do with it too :-).

        --
        Steven J. Owens
        puff@... / (412) 401-8060 cell / (412) 578-9817 house