Re: Ways XP is broken (Was:[XP] Do people prefer to fail than to admit a paradigm change?( or is XP a poisoned term? ))

  • Keith Ray
    Message 1 of 75 , Nov 1, 2003
      On Saturday, November 1, 2003, at 05:00 AM, Ron Jeffries wrote:

      > I am actually quite confident that if an XP team really kicked out a
      > deliverable CD every two weeks, the organization would quickly figure
      > out
      > how to deal with it. Some sales guy somewhere would close a million
      > dollar
      > deal on yesterday's CD, and things would start happening.

      Not mine. We had an installer ready to use every two weeks, but only
      the Customer and programmers installed it. We couldn't get QA testers
      involved until the project was 'finished' according to the date
      specified in the company plan for the project.

      It's really odd when everyone reports to different managers (QA
      managers, Development Managers, Managers over the Planners), and the
      Product Managers (who don't have anyone 'report' to them) don't have
      any 'real' power. Matrix management.

      :-(

      --
      C. Keith Ray
    • Roy Miller
      Message 75 of 75 , Nov 28, 2003
        > >>Ken Auer and Roy Miller propose in their book ("Extreme
        Programming
        > >>Applied", page 71), that although it is better to start with all
        12
        > >>above mentioned practices, it is also feasable to start with only
        > >>the following 6 practices. Ken and Roy call them essential
        > >>practices.
        > >
        > >>Planning Game
        > >>Small Releases
        > >>Testing
        > >>Pair Programming
        > >>Refactoring
        > >>Continuous Integration
        >
        > I interpreted this differently. I pictured them saying that, in an
        > environment that seems hostile to XP, these are the practices worth
        > fighting for just to get your foot in the door. The rest have less
        ROI
        > when you include the effort you spend trying to convince people in
        the
        > "expense" column.
        >
        > I don't think they mean that the remaining practices are candidates
        > discard on an XP project with the appropriate buy-in.
        >
        > Of course, Ken or Roy could just confirm or deny that themselves.

        Consider this confirmation, at least from me. Please do use all the
        practices when you can, but John's right. You sometimes need to pick
        your battles. Win the first set of battles, then move on to the next
        set. I think you'll like the results.

        Roy