Re: [XP] Re: XP and Religion

  • Keith Ray
    Message 1 of 215 , Nov 1, 2003
      On Saturday, November 1, 2003, at 07:52 AM, Steve Howell wrote:

      > If you want a design to emerge in code, then you follow a few simple
      > practices, like removing duplication, only writing enough code to make
      > the tests pass, always having two programmers at the terminal, etc.
      > Eventually good designs emerge, and though they sometimes resemble
      > already studied design patterns, they have a more exquisite fit.

      One thing to keep in mind is that "expresses the programmer's
      intentions clearly" includes all those 'good design' things we know
      about cohesion, coupling, and so on. Taken to an 'extreme', any
      duplication has to be removed whenever found, even when the duplication
      may not be obvious -- this could lead to writing a GUI toolkit
      (incrementally) when working in relatively impoverished and backward
      toolkits like Swing or Windows-MFC.

      (Said slightly tongue-in-cheek) ;-)

      --
      C. Keith Ray
    • xp@darksleep.com
      Message 215 of 215 , Nov 19, 2003
        Hi all,

        Just thougth I'd throw in an XP-relevant comment on this thread.

        My weight has hovered just around 270lbs since high school, even
        when I was doing martial arts seven days a week, even when I was doing
        capoeira (a highly physical, acrobatic martial art involving
        cartwheels and flips and the like). My fat/muscle balance changed,
        certainly (I sink like a rock in water), but my weight stayed the
        same.

        Oddly enough, my weight went *up* when I left a large corporate
        environment for a small startup where we did pair programming. I
        spent much more time sitting and coding, and much less time
        cubicle-crawling and schlepping to meetings.

        Of course, the fact that I traded the big corporate urban
        environs of the big coporate office for startup suburbia, and went
        from walking 5-10 blocks to an asian restaruant for lunch to hopping
        in the car and drove down the road to the greasy spoon, may have had
        something to do with it too :-).

        --
        Steven J. Owens
        puff@... / (412) 401-8060 cell / (412) 578-9817 house