Re: [XP] Re: XP and Religion

    Message 1 of 215 , Nov 1, 2003
      On Saturday, November 1, 2003, at 10:52:12 AM, Steve Howell wrote:

      > If you want a methodology to emerge in an organization, are there
      > similarly simple practices that you can follow? (I use "practices"
      > where Dale says "principles and values," because I'm trying to push the
      > analogy with code further. And I really mean "metapractices"--i.e.
      > practices that help us refine the other practices.)

      > Maybe SAMOLO's the answer.

      Feedback is the answer. SAMOLO is one practice; retrospectives are another.

      The standup meeting is another:
      1. Here's what I did yesterday;
      2. Here's what I plan to do today;
      3. Here's what's in my way.

      Here's something to think about. Scrum is /nothing/ but a scaled-down
      planning game. (More accurately, the planning game is an elaborated Scrum,
      since Scrum came first.)

      Scrum seems to be working most everywhere that it is honestly tried, as
      does XP, by the way.

      Maybe more rules and practices aren't the answer. I suggest that XP and
      Scrum are telling us that. Lots of skills in our kit bag, sure. More
      elaborate process definitions? Maybe not.

      Discontinue reading if rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops.
      Especially irritation.
    • xp@darksleep.com
      Message 215 of 215 , Nov 19, 2003
        Hi all,

        Just thougth I'd throw in an XP-relevant comment on this thread.

        My weight has hovered just around 270lbs since high school, even
        when I was doing martial arts seven days a week, even when I was doing
        capoeira (a highly physical, acrobatic martial art involving
        cartwheels and flips and the like). My fat/muscle balance changed,
        certainly (I sink like a rock in water), but my weight stayed the
        same.

        Oddly enough, my weight went *up* when I left a large corporate
        environment for a small startup where we did pair programming. I
        spent much more time sitting and coding, and much less time
        cubicle-crawling and schlepping to meetings.

        Of course, the fact that I traded the big corporate urban
        environs of the big coporate office for startup suburbia, and went
        from walking 5-10 blocks to an asian restaruant for lunch to hopping
        in the car and drove down the road to the greasy spoon, may have had
        something to do with it too :-).

        --
        Steven J. Owens
        puff@... / (412) 401-8060 cell / (412) 578-9817 house