Re: [XP] Do people prefer to fail than to admit a paradigm change? ( or is XP a poisoned term? )

  • Keith Ray
    Message 1 of 75 , Nov 1, 2003
      I was going to mention that. I'm too old and have read too many books
      about codependency to want to fix other other people's bugs for them,
      (I'd rather pair-program with other people to prevent bugs from being
      written in the first place) but I know people who have been in the
      software industry for a much shorter time, that find fixing other
      people's bugs to be "heroic" thing to do.

      --
      C. Keith Ray
    • Roy Miller
      Message 75 of 75 , Nov 28, 2003
        > >>Ken Auer and Roy Miller propose in their book ("Extreme
        Programming
        > >>Applied", page 71), that although it is better to start with all
        12
        > >>above mentioned practices, it is also feasable to start with only
        > >>the following 6 practices. Ken and Roy call them essential
        > >>practices.
        > >
        > >>Planning Game
        > >>Small Releases
        > >>Testing
        > >>Pair Programming
        > >>Refactoring
        > >>Continuous Integration
        >
        > I interpreted this differently. I pictured them saying that, in an
        > environment that seems hostile to XP, these are the practices worth
        > fighting for just to get your foot in the door. The rest have less
        ROI
        > when you include the effort you spend trying to convince people in
        the
        > "expense" column.
        >
        > I don't think they mean that the remaining practices are candidates
        > discard on an XP project with the appropriate buy-in.
        >
        > Of course, Ken or Roy could just confirm or deny that themselves.

        Consider this confirmation, at least from me. Please do use all the
        practices when you can, but John's right. You sometimes need to pick
        your battles. Win the first set of battles, then move on to the next
        set. I think you'll like the results.

        Roy