RE: [XP] XP and Religion

  • Christian Sepulveda
    Message 1 of 215 , Oct 31, 2003
      I admit that I grow concerned each time I hear someone refer to the Beck's
      white book as the "XP Bible". So, I can appreciate your concerns, to a
      point.

      However, it seems that you are looking for the proverbial silver bullet. The
      less disciplined your practices are, the lower a return you will get. The
      "middle ground" you describe sounds like a plea for permission; how can one
      not refactor, not practice TDD, etc. and still get clean code, high
      productivity, etc.?

      You raised some concerns about influencing other team members to be more
      disciplined in their practice of XP. This list frequently gets questions
      like "How can I get Beavis to pair with Butthead?". The frequency and
      similarity of such questions generally gets similar replies. I am actually
      pleased that people take the time to repeat their replies rather than simply
      ignore the question or just respond with "search the list; it has already
      been answered".

      Given the similarity of the replies, I understand why it may seem dogmatic
      or like the "party line". But I wouldn't confuse courtesty with religious
      zeal (and I am not assuming you are). But after the basic advise and
      guidelines of the group have been exhausted, a given situation may be more
      complicated than just suggestions for practicing XP.

      I think your situation may be one of these. It sounds like you are having
      team problems that are about team dynamics and communication. I think there
      is resistance to change and challenging assumptions, not just resistance to
      XP.

      I suggest reading the work of Tom DeMarco and Gerry Weinberg. They have good
      thoughts on team dynamics, professionalism and fostering change.

      Chris

      cs@...
      www.atdesigntime.com
      www.christiansepulveda.com/blog
      tel: 646.522.0654
      Message 215 of 215 , Nov 19, 2003
        Hi all,

        Just thougth I'd throw in an XP-relevant comment on this thread.

        My weight has hovered just around 270lbs since high school, even
        when I was doing martial arts seven days a week, even when I was doing
        capoeira (a highly physical, acrobatic martial art involving
        cartwheels and flips and the like). My fat/muscle balance changed,
        certainly (I sink like a rock in water), but my weight stayed the
        same.

        Oddly enough, my weight went *up* when I left a large corporate
        environment for a small startup where we did pair programming. I
        spent much more time sitting and coding, and much less time
        cubicle-crawling and schlepping to meetings.

        Of course, the fact that I traded the big corporate urban
        environs of the big coporate office for startup suburbia, and went
        from walking 5-10 blocks to an asian restaruant for lunch to hopping
        in the car and drove down the road to the greasy spoon, may have had
        something to do with it too :-).

        --
        Steven J. Owens
        puff@... / (412) 401-8060 cell / (412) 578-9817 house