XP and Religion

  • Amr Elssamadisy
    Message 1 of 215 , Oct 31, 2003
      A little introduction - bear with me...

      I come from Egypt - which is 94% muslim. Very religious people...
      Anyway - whenever something goes wrong we hear from the preachers 'Islam
      is the solution' - never mind that many of us try to be good muslims and
      do what is right, etc... Islam is perfect - because it has been
      revealed by God. Unfortunately over the 1400 years of the history of
      Islam there have been so many different interpretations and usages and
      muslim countries have gone from the dominating world empire to the push
      overs our countries seem to be today. Muslims are portrayed as
      terrorists, countries are attacked and occupied by the current
      superpower in the world, etc... But I digress.

      Now to XP :) Latest statistic I've read is that 40% of IT groups have
      at least some part of their projects created with agile methods. This
      also means that many people are using XP or variants and we all know
      they are completely different. Many of them would be booed off stage if
      they ever came to an XP conference because they say they are when they
      are not. What I constantly hear on this list is the Islamic preacher
      equivalent of 'you are not pious enough my son - you should pray more -
      be sure to read the Quran daily and give charity and it will come back
      to you 700-fold and then God will bless you with heaven'. Great!
      Cool! Unfortunately the sad fact is not everyone is that pious. Not
      everyone is going to achieve the Ron Jeffries Zen (sorry Ron ;) ).

      So what do we do with the poor souls like me? Do I just go to XP Hell?
      Is there no way for me to enter the heaven of successful, maintainable,
      projects?

      --
      Amr Elssamadisy

      Developer,Researcher,Student
      (In no particular order...)

      tel: (413) 207-1225
      email: amr@...
    • xp@darksleep.com
      Message 215 of 215 , Nov 19, 2003
        Hi all,

        Just thougth I'd throw in an XP-relevant comment on this thread.

        My weight has hovered just around 270lbs since high school, even
        when I was doing martial arts seven days a week, even when I was doing
        capoeira (a highly physical, acrobatic martial art involving
        cartwheels and flips and the like). My fat/muscle balance changed,
        certainly (I sink like a rock in water), but my weight stayed the
        same.

        Oddly enough, my weight went *up* when I left a large corporate
        environment for a small startup where we did pair programming. I
        spent much more time sitting and coding, and much less time
        cubicle-crawling and schlepping to meetings.

        Of course, the fact that I traded the big corporate urban
        environs of the big coporate office for startup suburbia, and went
        from walking 5-10 blocks to an asian restaruant for lunch to hopping
        in the car and drove down the road to the greasy spoon, may have had
        something to do with it too :-).

        --
        Steven J. Owens
        puff@... / (412) 401-8060 cell / (412) 578-9817 house