Re: [XP] XP and non-anectdotal evidence?

  • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
    Message 1 of 114 , Oct 28, 2003
      From: "Amr Elssamadisy" <amr.at.elssamadisy.com@...>
      To: "extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com"
      Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 6:15 PM
      Subject: [XP] XP and non-anectdotal evidence?

      > Here is a question that's been on my mind a while - do we have any
      > non-anecdotal evidence of agile processes in general and/or XP in
      > specific? This may be something answered by our academic readers more
      > readily than our industry participants. If so - what kind of evidence
      > do we have? If not - what kind of evidence can we produce?

      Evidence of what? There are a bunch of studies of pair programming
      whose conclusions are so ambiguous that they can be debated endlessly.

      The trouble with controlled studies is that the questions that need
      definitive answers all depend on the entire system; the only people
      who are going to accept the results of studying some part in isolation
      are the people who will grasp at anything that seems to justify their
      firmly held position, whether or not it actually does so.

      If you know anyone who's willing to fund a research study that
      will compare methodologies on projects of 3 developer-years or
      more, with professional developers who start out at the Dryfus
      "competent" level on all tasks involved, I'm sure that you'll find all
      kinds of academics that will jump at the opportunity to manage it
      for you.

      Just to put you in the picture, that's about USD $0.5 million once
      you get everything in place.

      > Ideas in the direction of modeling processes and comparing them? I
      > know there are CMM/XP papers - but those also seem to be alot of hand
      > waving. Maybe I just haven't read the right papers. Don't know - but
      > thought it would make a more interesting discussion than coding standards
      ;)

      It would be if there was anything to discuss.

      John Roth

      > Amr
      >
      > --
      > Amr Elssamadisy