Re: [XP] Interesting Card-based Planning Software

  • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2003
      From: "joelkevinjones" <jones.at.cs.ua.edu@...>
      To: "extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com"
      Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 11:21 AM
      Subject: [XP] Interesting Card-based Planning Software

      > I know the bias against towards using paper index cards rather than
      > planning software, but I just came across an interesting product
      > called
      > PowerCard. The url is:
      > http://www.devoesquared.com/Software/PowerCard
      >
      > The software has the card metaphor and provides advantages over paper
      > cards in the following ways:
      >
      > The inability to deal with distributed teams
      >
      > The cards get lost or disorganized, floating around the office.
      >
      > Showing them to other parts of the company requires gathering
      > around the "Card Area"
      >
      > Another cool feature is that the software is "Rendevous Aware", i.e.
      > it allows collaboration on published plan.
      >
      > I am not associated with them in any way, or even a user of the
      > software, but it does look interesting.
      >
      > The downside? It only runs on Mac OS X.
      >
      > Joel Jones
      > University of Alabama

      Looks like an interesting approach toward a distributed Planning
      Game. Unfortunately, it looks like they're headed in the wrong
      direction at warp speed for extensions. Gantt charts and Pert
      charts are basically useless for XP, I'd rather have a simple
      list view, sorted by 'done', 'current iteration' and 'backlog,'
      with things like a burn-down chart and links to ancilliary
      documentation.

      John Roth