Interesting Card-based Planning Software

  • joelkevinjones
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
      I know the bias against towards using paper index cards rather than
      planning software, but I just came across an interesting product
      called
      PowerCard. The url is:
      http://www.devoesquared.com/Software/PowerCard

      The software has the card metaphor and provides advantages over paper
      cards in the following ways:

      The inability to deal with distributed teams

      The cards get lost or disorganized, floating around the office.

      Showing them to other parts of the company requires gathering
      around the "Card Area"

      Another cool feature is that the software is "Rendevous Aware", i.e.
      it allows collaboration on published plan.

      I am not associated with them in any way, or even a user of the
      software, but it does look interesting.

      The downside? It only runs on Mac OS X.

      Joel Jones
      University of Alabama
    • Ken Boucher
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
        >Unfortunately, this method has a few drawbacks. Chief among them are:
        > * the inability to deal with distributed teams
        > * The cards get lost or disorganized, floating around the office.
        > * Showing them to other parts of the company requires gathering
        > around the "Card Area"

        or you buy a scanner.

        If you're worried about losing a card, use the photocopier.

        I'm really leaning towards suggesting a different system of cards for
        the next project. I'm thinging 5" * 8" post-it notes for all cards
        that have gone through a release plan (ie. we know that they exist)
        and having the ones we're working on in this iteration copied on the
        larger post-it easel pads. (as in
        http://fairlygoodpractices.com/18.jpg )
        When we're working on a card we could photocopy it and work off the
        photocopy with no problem and then archive the photocopy.
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
          On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 10:17:37 PM, Ken Boucher wrote:

          >>Unfortunately, this method has a few drawbacks. Chief among them are:
          >> * the inability to deal with distributed teams
          >> * The cards get lost or disorganized, floating around the office.
          >> * Showing them to other parts of the company requires gathering
          >> around the "Card Area"

          > or you buy a scanner.

          > If you're worried about losing a card, use the photocopier.

          > I'm really leaning towards suggesting a different system of cards for
          > the next project. I'm thinging 5" * 8" post-it notes for all cards
          > that have gone through a release plan (ie. we know that they exist)
          > and having the ones we're working on in this iteration copied on the
          > larger post-it easel pads. (as in
          > http://fairlygoodpractices.com/18.jpg )
          > When we're working on a card we could photocopy it and work off the
          > photocopy with no problem and then archive the photocopy.

          Darn near elegant. I'd love to hear how this works if you do it.

          You have to either laugh or cry. -- Bill Rogers
        • acockburn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
            In a message dated 10/2/2003 2:34:54 AM Mountain Daylight Time, Ken writes:

            > I'm really leaning towards suggesting a different system of cards for
            > the next project. I'm thinging 5" * 8" post-it notes for all cards
            > that have gone through a release plan (ie. we know that they exist)
            > and having the ones we're working on in this iteration copied on the
            > larger post-it easel pads. (as in
            > http://fairlygoodpractices.com/18.jpg )
            > When we're working on a card we could photocopy it and work off the
            > photocopy with no problem and then archive the photocopy.
            1. Thanks for that pointer to Fairlygoodpractices.com --- That looks like a
            great website and I look forward to trawling through it with some pleasure.

            2. My experience has always been that post-it notes fall off the wall after a
            certain time period starting at about a week. They are also harder to handle
            in the copier machine. I would be inclined to just tape the release *index
            cards* on the wall, since they'll stay up and handle better in the copier or
            scanner. Is this an alternative you already considered and decided against?
            I have seen story cards put onto flipcharts and that looks to work just
            great. Thoughtworks did this, put post-it notes on the flipchart for task cards
            .. and moved task cards below the flipchart as tasks were taken out of scope
            for the iteration, which was doubly good. There is a photo of this on slide 32
            of
            http://alistair.cockburn.us/crystal/talks/sdacg2003.02-060min/SwDevAsaCooperativeGame2003.02-060min.ppt

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
              On Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 10:15:14 AM, acockburn@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 10/2/2003 2:34:54 AM Mountain Daylight Time, Ken writes:

              >> I'm really leaning towards suggesting a different system of cards for
              >> the next project. I'm thinging 5" * 8" post-it notes for all cards
              >> that have gone through a release plan (ie. we know that they exist)
              >> and having the ones we're working on in this iteration copied on the
              >> larger post-it easel pads. (as in
              >> http://fairlygoodpractices.com/18.jpg )
              >> When we're working on a card we could photocopy it and work off the
              >> photocopy with no problem and then archive the photocopy.
              > 1. Thanks for that pointer to Fairlygoodpractices.com --- That looks like a
              > great website and I look forward to trawling through it with some pleasure.

              Yes, those folks have a good angle on things, if slightly surreal.

              > 2. My experience has always been that post-it notes fall off the wall ...

              I do find the more rigid cards to be easier to work with. Chrysler used to
              put butcher paper up on the walls and spray rubber cement on it so that
              stuff would stick. That was amusing and you could get a really good buzz at
              the first few meetings after they refreshed the walls. Worth trying.

              Accept your conditions, but not your fate. -- Rod Walsh & Dan Carrison
            • Ken Boucher
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
                > Thanks for that pointer to Fairlygoodpractices.com --- That looks
                > like a great website and I look forward to trawling through it with
                > some pleasure.

                Thanks. I'm looking forward towards having a weekend where I can sit
                down and actually finish the first version of the darn thing. :)