RE: [XP] Re: Is RUP Agile? - metaprocess

  • WILLIAMS Dominic
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      > Alistair Cockburn wrote:
      >
      > RUP contains the notion of a "development case", which is exactly
      > what you are asking for. Performing the Development Case to reduce
      > the RUP encyclopedia to the process for your team is the FIRST STEP
      > in the RUP process.
      >
      > Almost nobody does that step [...]

      If I understand correctly:

      - The first step in RUP is to tailor it to your needs, but nobody does
      that step.
      - The first step in XP is to do all the practices all the time
      (without tailoring), but few people do that step.

      Or put another way:

      - RUP tells you what to do, not how, but people only remember the how.
      - XP tells you exactly how, but people only remember the what.

      It's so unfair.

      Dominic.
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
        On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 7:37:14 AM, WILLIAMS Dominic wrote:

        > If I understand correctly:

        > - The first step in RUP is to tailor it to your needs, but nobody does
        > that step.
        > - The first step in XP is to do all the practices all the time
        > (without tailoring), but few people do that step.

        > Or put another way:

        > - RUP tells you what to do, not how, but people only remember the how.
        > - XP tells you exactly how, but people only remember the what.

        > It's so unfair.

        It is, it really is. Once in a while, though, someone gets it. That's why
        we're all here, I guess ...

        Hold on to your dream. --ELO