RE: [XP] Re: RUP is Agile? -- Rational tools

  • WATKINS, Robert
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 1, 2003
      Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > > Let's make something clear: RUP is not a methodology. It's
      > not even a
      > > meta-methodology, the way the USDP is. RUP is a "software
      > development
      > > process platform". In other words, it's a tool to help you
      > follow YOUR
      > > process, by doing things such as putting up pretty web
      > sites describing YOUR
      > > process and roles and so forth.
      >
      > This is not clear to me. The RUP as I understand it is exactly a
      > metaprocess. It's not a tool, as I understand tools. To me, tools are
      > things like hammers, saws, compilers, Rose, and the Rational Process
      > Workbench.
      >
      > I guess I'm not understanding your point at all ...

      Well, I'm going off the IBM Rational web site. The bit in quotes is directly
      lifted from there...

      A subset of the whole RUP platform is the RUP methodology framework. This is
      certainly what most people refer to as RUP. However, this is essentially the
      USDP, tailored around the web tools, so RUP is clearly not just the
      framework.

      Thus, RUP is the toolset that helps to enable and support the framework.
      It's the pretty web sites and the Rational Process Workbench and so forth.
      In other words, it's what you get when you pay IBM Rational the big bucks.

      You can use the USDP without paying the bucks. You can't use RUP without
      paying the bucks, as you can't use RUP without the RUP tools. The practical
      difference between the two is otherwise very little.

      In any case, the rest of the post is still pretty clear; the RUP (and the
      USDP) is as agile as you care to make it.

      Robert.

      The contents of this message are the views of the Author and do not necessarily reflect the views of SUNCORP METWAY LTD ABN 66 010 831 722.

      The content of this e-mail, including attachments is a confidential communication between the Suncorp Metway Group and the intended addressee. Any unauthorised use of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please contact the sender immediately and then delete the message and any attachment(s).

      http://www.suncorp.com.au
    • John D. Mitchell
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 2, 2003
        [...]

        >>> I don't understand this use of the word "platform". But maybe it is.

        >> Check out:

        >> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=platform

        > John, if you are supporting the view that the RUP is a platform, I don't
        > get it. Vide infra ...

        No, I just gave you a definition of "platform". What you do with that
        definition is your business.

        Now, if you're asking what I think about what RUP is/is-not, I think "it"
        comprises two primary facets w.r.t. this discussion:

        First, it's a *label* for something that is actually a specific
        "meta-process".

        Second, it's a *label* that is used to market a pile of (usually ridiculously
        expensive) products and services.

        Personally, I don't presume that there is any a priori overlap or
        intersection between those two facets. :-)

        Take care,
        John