[XP] Java question

  • Victor
    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 1, 2003
      For those of us familiar with Smalltalk, Java seems to be an unnecessarily
      burdensome language. My question to the expert XP Java programmers: Is
      there any Java functionality you find you don't need, or use very
      infrequently, either in general, or because you are using some XP aspect,
      like TDD?

      Thanks,
      Victor
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 7, 2003
        On Sunday, September 7, 2003, at 8:35:58 PM, Jeff Grigg wrote:

        > We read Header & Details from a database and populate a web page
        > (header and table of details, of course). The user can add, change
        > and delete lines to their heart's content and then save/submit the
        > page back to the server. (Yes, this means JavaScript and DOM
        > manipulation -- to add new Detail objects.) The server has a
        > framework that will fetch existing objects from the database, check
        > optimistic locks (timestamps) and apply all user changes
        > (add/change/delete).

        > This subroutine is a last minute validation that occurs before the
        > results are saved back to the database. If it fails (IE: finds
        > conflicts), we display an error message on the screen and allow the
        > user to keep changing and submitting until it's acceptable.

        Yes ... I was wondering, though, if it would be acceptable to have it be
        that they can't even add lines or change them if they cause a conflict?

        it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca