Re: [XP] Re: RUP is Agile? -- Rational tools

    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 1, 2003
      On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 11:40:23 AM, John D. Mitchell wrote:

      > [...]

      >>> Maybe, it is a marketing platform?

      >> I don't understand this use of the word "platform". But maybe it is.

      > Check out:

      > http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=platform

      John, if you are supporting the view that the RUP is a platform, I don't
      get it. Vide infra ...

      > Especially:

      > 2. A place, means, or opportunity for public expression of opinion:
      > a journal that served as a platform for radical views.

      Yes. RUP is clearly not an opportunity for public expression, though the
      books about the RUP might be considered instances of public expression.

      > 4. A formal declaration of the principles on which a group, such as
      > a political party, makes its appeal to the public.

      Yes. Nor is the RUP a formal declaration of principles. It may be the case
      that the various authors of the various books do take the occasion to
      express some principles behind the RUP. Those parts of the books might be
      considered a platform. But the Rational Unified Process a platform? No, I
      don't think so.

      The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Geoffrey Chaucer
    • John D. Mitchell
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 2, 2003
        [...]

        >>> I don't understand this use of the word "platform". But maybe it is.

        >> Check out:

        >> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=platform

        > John, if you are supporting the view that the RUP is a platform, I don't
        > get it. Vide infra ...

        No, I just gave you a definition of "platform". What you do with that
        definition is your business.

        Now, if you're asking what I think about what RUP is/is-not, I think "it"
        comprises two primary facets w.r.t. this discussion:

        First, it's a *label* for something that is actually a specific
        "meta-process".

        Second, it's a *label* that is used to market a pile of (usually ridiculously
        expensive) products and services.

        Personally, I don't presume that there is any a priori overlap or
        intersection between those two facets. :-)

        Take care,
        John