RE: [XP] Re: RUP is Agile? -- Rational tools

  • Dan Rawsthorne
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 1, 2003
      I think that the notion of RUP as a tool is purely a technical one. It
      is a product that describes a process, and can be used to instantiate a
      process. I guess from Rational's POV it is no different from a book in
      that regard.

      However, I agree with you, Ron. I think of it as the
      process/framework/meta-process that it describes...

      Dan ;-)

      Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, Sr. Consultant
      www.netobjectives.com
      DrDan@...
      office: 425-269-8628

      Net Objectives' vision is effective software development without
      suffering. Our mission is to assist software development teams in
      accomplishing this through a combination of training and mentoring.

      YOUR

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > http://www.messagelabs.com

    • John D. Mitchell
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 2, 2003
        [...]

        >>> I don't understand this use of the word "platform". But maybe it is.

        >> Check out:

        >> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=platform

        > John, if you are supporting the view that the RUP is a platform, I don't
        > get it. Vide infra ...

        No, I just gave you a definition of "platform". What you do with that
        definition is your business.

        Now, if you're asking what I think about what RUP is/is-not, I think "it"
        comprises two primary facets w.r.t. this discussion:

        First, it's a *label* for something that is actually a specific
        "meta-process".

        Second, it's a *label* that is used to market a pile of (usually ridiculously
        expensive) products and services.

        Personally, I don't presume that there is any a priori overlap or
        intersection between those two facets. :-)

        Take care,
        John