Re: [XP] Re: RUP is Agile? -- Rational tools

  • Grady Booch
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 1, 2003
      The RUP is a process framework; one must form an instance of the RUP to
      define a specific process (we've been over this before in this group...)

      Grady Booch
      IBM Fellow
      Voice: (303) 986-2405
      Mobile: (303) 898-7091
      Fax: (303) 987-2141
      Video: (303) 795-6587/6626
      GPS: 39.620/-105.076
      Notes: Grady Booch/Boulder/IBM
      E-mail: gbooch@...

    • John D. Mitchell
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 2, 2003
        [...]

        >>> I don't understand this use of the word "platform". But maybe it is.

        >> Check out:

        >> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=platform

        > John, if you are supporting the view that the RUP is a platform, I don't
        > get it. Vide infra ...

        No, I just gave you a definition of "platform". What you do with that
        definition is your business.

        Now, if you're asking what I think about what RUP is/is-not, I think "it"
        comprises two primary facets w.r.t. this discussion:

        First, it's a *label* for something that is actually a specific
        "meta-process".

        Second, it's a *label* that is used to market a pile of (usually ridiculously
        expensive) products and services.

        Personally, I don't presume that there is any a priori overlap or
        intersection between those two facets. :-)

        Take care,
        John