Re: [XP] Re: RUP is Agile? -- Rational tools

  • Pierre Boudreau
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 1, 2003
      Ron JeffriesWrote:
      > > Let's make something clear: RUP is not a methodology. It's not even a
      > > meta-methodology, the way the USDP is. RUP is a "software development
      > > process platform". In other words, it's a tool to help you follow YOUR
      > > process, by doing things such as putting up pretty web sites describing YOUR
      > > process and roles and so forth.
      >
      > This is not clear to me. The RUP as I understand it is exactly a
      > metaprocess. It's not a tool, as I understand tools. To me, tools are
      > things like hammers, saws, compilers, Rose, and the Rational Process
      > Workbench.
      >
      > I guess I'm not understanding your point at all ...

      I can't see how people keep thinking RUP is a process.

      Oh wait...

      Maybe because it's called the Rational Unified Process...

      Maybe it should be called the RUPP (Rational Unified Process Platform)...
    • John D. Mitchell
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 2, 2003
        [...]

        >>> I don't understand this use of the word "platform". But maybe it is.

        >> Check out:

        >> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=platform

        > John, if you are supporting the view that the RUP is a platform, I don't
        > get it. Vide infra ...

        No, I just gave you a definition of "platform". What you do with that
        definition is your business.

        Now, if you're asking what I think about what RUP is/is-not, I think "it"
        comprises two primary facets w.r.t. this discussion:

        First, it's a *label* for something that is actually a specific
        "meta-process".

        Second, it's a *label* that is used to market a pile of (usually ridiculously
        expensive) products and services.

        Personally, I don't presume that there is any a priori overlap or
        intersection between those two facets. :-)

        Take care,
        John