[XP] Re: RUP is Agile? -- Rational tools

  • Marco Abis
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi everybody,

      an interesting thread about this arose in the Scrum Development
      Group. The first message of that thread is:

      Cheers :)

      Marco Abis
      http://www.agilityspi.com - Agility SPI: Software Process Improvement
      http://agilemovement.it - Italian Agile Movement

      > Let's make something clear: RUP is not a methodology. It's not even
      > meta-methodology, the way the USDP is. RUP is a "software
      development
      > process platform". In other words, it's a tool to help you follow
      YOUR
      > process, by doing things such as putting up pretty web sites
      describing YOUR
      > process and roles and so forth.
    • John D. Mitchell
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 2, 2003
        [...]

        >>> I don't understand this use of the word "platform". But maybe it is.

        >> Check out:

        >> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=platform

        > John, if you are supporting the view that the RUP is a platform, I don't
        > get it. Vide infra ...

        No, I just gave you a definition of "platform". What you do with that
        definition is your business.

        Now, if you're asking what I think about what RUP is/is-not, I think "it"
        comprises two primary facets w.r.t. this discussion:

        First, it's a *label* for something that is actually a specific
        "meta-process".

        Second, it's a *label* that is used to market a pile of (usually ridiculously
        expensive) products and services.

        Personally, I don't presume that there is any a priori overlap or
        intersection between those two facets. :-)

        Take care,
        John