Re: [XP] XP - Automated Testing

  • vidmas_k
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2003
      For us automated testing is very important. We run automated unit
      test many timed
      per day and try to run automated acceptance tests every day. The
      acceptance tests are harder to write and run every day but it is well
      worth the effort. It will decrease the time you spend debugging and
      integrating. The time savings from that alone makes it worth it to do
      so. We do C++ network programming and took the time to write a very
      versatile and scalable automated test framework. It took us several
      months to set it up but it probably saved us a year (seriously). I'm
      an avid supporter of automated test-driven development it it does
      wonders on an XP project. Actually, any project for that matter. When
      we were not diligent in setting up automated acceptance tests right
      away, it really bit us in the ass.

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gordon
      <sagordon@a...> wrote:
      > Message 78157 in the Yahoo Groups list of XP messages is the
      beginning of a
      > thread of several messages on this very topic:

      RUP
      > neither does guide/force people to follow XP practices, nor prevent
      them
      > from..."
      >
      > Now, I wonder about the minimum infrastructure required for a
      succesful
      > application of XP practices.
      > I guess, an automated test enviroment is a must? Without making
      people
      > capabil of testing the most recent version of their codes
      automatecly, I
      > guess, the XP practices will not be carried out in timely manner?
      >
      > What do you think about the minimum (SW) infrastructure support
      (automated
      > test env. e.g.) required for a successful XP experience?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      > May peace be upon you,
      > Orhan

      --------
      > ----
      >

      > Orhan Kalaycy´, Genel Müdür,
      >
      > Nitelik Yazy´ly´m Dany´<thorn>manly´k Dy´<thorn>
      Ticaret Ltd.
      <THORN>ti.

      > Büyükdere Cad. Spring Giz Plaza No:7 MBE106 34398 Maslak
      Y´stanbul

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/