XP Toolkit (Re: [XP] RUP is Agile?)

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29 9:47 AM
      Orhan KALAYCI wrote:

      > Hello All,
      >
      > I am consulting about SPI (SW Process Improvement) - mostly using CMMI - in
      > Turkey. Recently I have discovered XP and I have found it the new age
      > development method for the Information era. I honestly believe in XP (Agile
      > develepmenet) to be the development method of the future (if not now :).
      >
      > Last week, I received a question from one of my client after my presentation
      > about the relationship between CMMI and XP. (In short, just practicing
      > "real XP processes" one organization can easily come close to CMMI L3.)
      >
      > The question was: "What about Rational Tools? Is RUP a kind of Agile
      > Method? If not, is there a tool support established for XP?"

      Let us separate tools from methods from principles, first off. I am not
      a RUP expert, so I will defer that answer to others.

      Regarding tool support for XP, we just had this question recently, so
      you may also want to refer to those conversations. A search of the
      Yahoo! group archives would help.

      The simplest XP toolkit includes index cards, pens, Post-It! wallchart
      paper, whiteboards, markers and possibly a digital camera. That is my
      opinion.

      I often add to this toolkit spreadsheet software (OpenOffice Calc, of
      course) and a Wiki (I run TWiki).

      If this toolkit is not enough for a particular project then I look for
      solutions for that project. I have not found any other tools that have
      had enough general-purpose use to put them into the toolkit.

      I hope this, combined with the other excellent suggestions you receive,
      is helpful.
      --
      J. B. Rainsberger,
      Diaspar Software Services