Creative New UserGroup

  • Gervas Douglas
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2003
      As you are all aware the Web has had a major impact on application
      architectures. In place of closed monolithic enterprise apps we are
      experienceing radical new developments in distributed computing
      structures. Two salient recent developments are:

      [1] Web-facing n-tier client/server AppServers based mainly on
      J2EE and .NET platforms;

      [2] The birth, overhype and hesitant growth of Web Services;

      [3] The promotion of Web Services has also caused vendors of
      application software and the larger customers to become more
      aware of Service-Orientated Architectures (SOA).

      Database structures are also beginning to come into question as the
      shortcomings of predominant RDBMS systems are increasingly being
      exposed by new globalised application interactions.

      I suspect that new software structures will give Java a chance to
      show off its true potential, partly as a a language in its own right
      and partly through Java technologies such as Jini, Jxta and the
      unfairly neglected JavaSpaces.

      With a view to addressing these issues and the simple question of
      where do we go from here, I have just formed a new Next-Generation
      Applications Architectures Group. So why don't you come, have a
      look, join and contribute to what promises to be a highly creative
      Group without technology-as-a-religion shackles?!

      See you soon,

      Gervas

      Moderator

      Next-Generation Application Architectures Group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/n-gaa/

      SOA Group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/service-orientated-architecture/

      Jini/JavaSpaces Group