F/A-22 Raptor Software: Reboot time average: 36 s per flight.

  • Armin Roehrl
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
      Hi,

      I just now came across that link in the washingonpost:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46502-2003Jul25.html

      Reboot time is down to an average of just 36 seconds per flight. Why do
      they need to reboot the software at all?
      Sounds scary, doesn't it?

      I truly wonder whether the two million lines of code written test-first
      would improve quality of the code

      Does anybody know more about this certainly complex
      real time software system?

      Thanks,
      -A.

      Armin Roehrl, http://www.approximity.com
      We manage risk
    • Adrian Howard
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
        On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 09:07 am, Armin Roehrl wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I just now came across that link in the washingonpost:
        > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46502-2003Jul25.html
        >
        > Reboot time is down to an average of just 36 seconds per flight. Why do
        > they need to reboot the software at all?
        > Sounds scary, doesn't it?

        To be fair they are talking about software that's not finished yet.
        They're still doing systems integration. Also we don't know what was
        due to hardware and what was due to software.

        Since they don't mention development methodologies - for all we know
        they were using agile processes :-)

        Adrian