RE: [XP] overtime discussion on Marketplace

  • andy.glew@amd.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
      > One statistic: one study showed that seven weeks at 50 hours,
      > and seven weeks at 40 hours, had the same productivity.

      I hope that you are meaning "production", total work,
      not productivity, total work / hour worked.
    • Curtis Cooley
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
        On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 08:23, Ron Jeffries wrote:
        > On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 11:05:13 AM, Curtis Cooley wrote:
        >
        > > On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 06:46, Ron Jeffries wrote:
        > >> The show is available at www.marketplace.org . The segment on overtime is
        > >> available in rm at: http://www.marketplace.org/shows/2003/07/31_mpp.html ,
        > >> about half-way down the page. Click on the header there to hear the segment
        > >> if you have a RealPlayer or equivalent.
        > > The segment is about 11:30 in for those of you who don't want to listen
        > > to the whole show.
        >
        > Yes. Though it looked like the link in the little writeup might go right to
        > the segment? Did you try it, Curtis? I had already heard it so didn't do it
        > again.

        No. I just listened to the whole thing while working then tried to pay
        more attention when the segment came up.

        > And I couldn't figure out a way to scarf a copy of the file. Not sure it's
        > a keeper anyway ...

        Perhaps just to get a copy of the studies mentioned. The study that
        started it all, that hours worked is not a major factor in job
        satisfaction, was pretty scary. Who the %^$# did they ask anyway? And
        what was the question?

        Version a) Would you be happier if you could work fewer hours?
        Version b) What's more important, getting a pay check or working fewer
        hours?

        Hmm, I wonder which version of the question the study used :)

        > Ron Jeffries
        > www.XProgramming.com
        > You have to either laugh or cry. -- Bill Rogers

        ======================
        Curtis R Cooley
        RADSoft
        Better software faster
        curtis@...
        ----------------------
        Amy: "Way to go, Professor, the plan worked."
        Mom: "Plan? What plan? I thought this was a spontaneous whirlwind of hot dry
        sex."
      • Michael Hill
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 23, 2003
          Ron...

          Any word on Joe Robinson's sources?

          Hill

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 23, 2003
            On Saturday, August 23, 2003, at 1:12:13 PM, Michael Hill wrote:

            > Any word on Joe Robinson's sources?

            I have his book. I've sent a note to SAS Institute to see what they might
            have. Otherwise nothing useful, but a nice note from Joe.

            It's easier to act your way into a new way of thinking
            than to think your way into a new way of acting. --Millard Fuller