Re: [XP] test parameters

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2003
      Alex Pukinskis wrote:

      > I was wondering whether anyone had an elegant solution that would
      > automatically instruct NUnit to use different configuration settings
      > for testing purposes. We're developing a C#.NET web application that
      > has a number of database tests, and we've found that we'd like to use
      > two databases per machine during development - one that's hooked up to
      > the application when we're using it with the GUI, and another to be
      > called when running NUnit.
      >
      > We're having trouble coming up with a way to do this without writing a
      > lot of additional code, and thought somebody might have a simple
      > solution.

      I don't understand the reason for the question. In VC++ I test in-module in
      Debug mode, and compile test-free in Release mode. An actual "best practice"
      would be more subtle, but I can't conceive of a system without the ability
      to keep two configurations alive, to switch between them from the editor,
      and to conditionally compile the code. We even do this in Visual Basic (two
      vbp files).

      I do all sorts of things in debug mode, including shell to commands to build
      DLLs. Again, this is not a best practice, but I watch its risk level
      closely.

      Are you missing conditional compilation itself? You can add it by abusing
      your source files with Ruby or Python. Or are you missing multiple
      configurations within one IDE project file?

      --
      Phlip
      http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?TestFirstUserInterfaces
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2003
        Or is it just that they need to have a factory that sets up the reference to the test database
        during testing, and a different database during runtime?

        Nick.