Re: [XP] overtime discussion on Marketplace

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
      On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 11:05:13 AM, Curtis Cooley wrote:

      > On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 06:46, Ron Jeffries wrote:
      >> The show is available at www.marketplace.org . The segment on overtime is
      >> available in rm at: http://www.marketplace.org/shows/2003/07/31_mpp.html ,
      >> about half-way down the page. Click on the header there to hear the segment
      >> if you have a RealPlayer or equivalent.
      > The segment is about 11:30 in for those of you who don't want to listen
      > to the whole show.

      Yes. Though it looked like the link in the little writeup might go right to
      the segment? Did you try it, Curtis? I had already heard it so didn't do it
      again.

      And I couldn't figure out a way to scarf a copy of the file. Not sure it's
      a keeper anyway ...

      You have to either laugh or cry. -- Bill Rogers
    • andy.glew@amd.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
        > One statistic: one study showed that seven weeks at 50 hours,
        > and seven weeks at 40 hours, had the same productivity.

        I hope that you are meaning "production", total work,
        not productivity, total work / hour worked.
      • Curtis Cooley
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
          On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 08:23, Ron Jeffries wrote:
          > On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 11:05:13 AM, Curtis Cooley wrote:
          >
          > > On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 06:46, Ron Jeffries wrote:
          > >> The show is available at www.marketplace.org . The segment on overtime is
          > >> available in rm at: http://www.marketplace.org/shows/2003/07/31_mpp.html ,
          > >> about half-way down the page. Click on the header there to hear the segment
          > >> if you have a RealPlayer or equivalent.
          > > The segment is about 11:30 in for those of you who don't want to listen
          > > to the whole show.
          >
          > Yes. Though it looked like the link in the little writeup might go right to
          > the segment? Did you try it, Curtis? I had already heard it so didn't do it
          > again.

          No. I just listened to the whole thing while working then tried to pay
          more attention when the segment came up.

          > And I couldn't figure out a way to scarf a copy of the file. Not sure it's
          > a keeper anyway ...

          Perhaps just to get a copy of the studies mentioned. The study that
          started it all, that hours worked is not a major factor in job
          satisfaction, was pretty scary. Who the %^$# did they ask anyway? And
          what was the question?

          Version a) Would you be happier if you could work fewer hours?
          Version b) What's more important, getting a pay check or working fewer
          hours?

          Hmm, I wonder which version of the question the study used :)

          > Ron Jeffries
          > www.XProgramming.com
          > You have to either laugh or cry. -- Bill Rogers

          ======================
          Curtis R Cooley
          RADSoft
          Better software faster
          curtis@...
          ----------------------
          Amy: "Way to go, Professor, the plan worked."
          Mom: "Plan? What plan? I thought this was a spontaneous whirlwind of hot dry
          sex."
        • Michael Hill
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 23, 2003
            Ron...

            Any word on Joe Robinson's sources?

            Hill

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 23, 2003
              On Saturday, August 23, 2003, at 1:12:13 PM, Michael Hill wrote:

              > Any word on Joe Robinson's sources?

              I have his book. I've sent a note to SAS Institute to see what they might
              have. Otherwise nothing useful, but a nice note from Joe.

              It's easier to act your way into a new way of thinking
              than to think your way into a new way of acting. --Millard Fuller