Re: [XP] overtime discussion on Marketplace

  • Curtis Cooley
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
      On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 06:46, Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > The show is available at www.marketplace.org . The segment on overtime is
      > available in rm at: http://www.marketplace.org/shows/2003/07/31_mpp.html ,
      > about half-way down the page. Click on the header there to hear the segment
      > if you have a RealPlayer or equivalent.
      The segment is about 11:30 in for those of you who don't want to listen
      to the whole show.

      > I've written to Joe Robinson, for the references, and will publish if I get
      > them. Robinson is the author of Work to Live. See
      > http://www.worktolive.info/index.html for more info.
      >
      > One statistic: one study showed that seven weeks at 50 hours, and seven
      > weeks at 40 hours, had the same productivity.
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > Don't confuse more exact with better. -- Brian Marick

      ======================
      Curtis R Cooley
      RADSoft
      Better software faster
      curtis@...
      ----------------------
      Fry: I'm not a robot like you. I don't like having disks crammed
      into me... unless they're Oreos, and then only in the mouth.
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
        On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 11:05:13 AM, Curtis Cooley wrote:

        > On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 06:46, Ron Jeffries wrote:
        >> The show is available at www.marketplace.org . The segment on overtime is
        >> available in rm at: http://www.marketplace.org/shows/2003/07/31_mpp.html ,
        >> about half-way down the page. Click on the header there to hear the segment
        >> if you have a RealPlayer or equivalent.
        > The segment is about 11:30 in for those of you who don't want to listen
        > to the whole show.

        Yes. Though it looked like the link in the little writeup might go right to
        the segment? Did you try it, Curtis? I had already heard it so didn't do it
        again.

        And I couldn't figure out a way to scarf a copy of the file. Not sure it's
        a keeper anyway ...

        You have to either laugh or cry. -- Bill Rogers
      • andy.glew@amd.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
          > One statistic: one study showed that seven weeks at 50 hours,
          > and seven weeks at 40 hours, had the same productivity.

          I hope that you are meaning "production", total work,
          not productivity, total work / hour worked.
        • Curtis Cooley
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
            On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 08:23, Ron Jeffries wrote:
            > On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 11:05:13 AM, Curtis Cooley wrote:
            >
            > > On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 06:46, Ron Jeffries wrote:
            > >> The show is available at www.marketplace.org . The segment on overtime is
            > >> available in rm at: http://www.marketplace.org/shows/2003/07/31_mpp.html ,
            > >> about half-way down the page. Click on the header there to hear the segment
            > >> if you have a RealPlayer or equivalent.
            > > The segment is about 11:30 in for those of you who don't want to listen
            > > to the whole show.
            >
            > Yes. Though it looked like the link in the little writeup might go right to
            > the segment? Did you try it, Curtis? I had already heard it so didn't do it
            > again.

            No. I just listened to the whole thing while working then tried to pay
            more attention when the segment came up.

            > And I couldn't figure out a way to scarf a copy of the file. Not sure it's
            > a keeper anyway ...

            Perhaps just to get a copy of the studies mentioned. The study that
            started it all, that hours worked is not a major factor in job
            satisfaction, was pretty scary. Who the %^$# did they ask anyway? And
            what was the question?

            Version a) Would you be happier if you could work fewer hours?
            Version b) What's more important, getting a pay check or working fewer
            hours?

            Hmm, I wonder which version of the question the study used :)

            > Ron Jeffries
            > www.XProgramming.com
            > You have to either laugh or cry. -- Bill Rogers

            ======================
            Curtis R Cooley
            RADSoft
            Better software faster
            curtis@...
            ----------------------
            Amy: "Way to go, Professor, the plan worked."
            Mom: "Plan? What plan? I thought this was a spontaneous whirlwind of hot dry
            sex."
          • Michael Hill
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 23, 2003
              Ron...

              Any word on Joe Robinson's sources?

              Hill

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 23, 2003
                On Saturday, August 23, 2003, at 1:12:13 PM, Michael Hill wrote:

                > Any word on Joe Robinson's sources?

                I have his book. I've sent a note to SAS Institute to see what they might
                have. Otherwise nothing useful, but a nice note from Joe.

                It's easier to act your way into a new way of thinking
                than to think your way into a new way of acting. --Millard Fuller