overtime discussion on Marketplace

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 6:46 AM
      The show is available at www.marketplace.org . The segment on overtime is
      available in rm at: http://www.marketplace.org/shows/2003/07/31_mpp.html ,
      about half-way down the page. Click on the header there to hear the segment
      if you have a RealPlayer or equivalent.

      I've written to Joe Robinson, for the references, and will publish if I get
      them. Robinson is the author of Work to Live. See
      http://www.worktolive.info/index.html for more info.

      One statistic: one study showed that seven weeks at 50 hours, and seven
      weeks at 40 hours, had the same productivity.

      Don't confuse more exact with better. -- Brian Marick
    • Curtis Cooley
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1 8:05 AM
        On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 06:46, Ron Jeffries wrote:
        > The show is available at www.marketplace.org . The segment on overtime is
        > available in rm at: http://www.marketplace.org/shows/2003/07/31_mpp.html ,
        > about half-way down the page. Click on the header there to hear the segment
        > if you have a RealPlayer or equivalent.
        The segment is about 11:30 in for those of you who don't want to listen
        to the whole show.

        > I've written to Joe Robinson, for the references, and will publish if I get
        > them. Robinson is the author of Work to Live. See
        > http://www.worktolive.info/index.html for more info.
        >
        > One statistic: one study showed that seven weeks at 50 hours, and seven
        > weeks at 40 hours, had the same productivity.
        >
        > Ron Jeffries
        > www.XProgramming.com
        > Don't confuse more exact with better. -- Brian Marick

        ======================
        Curtis R Cooley
        RADSoft
        Better software faster
        curtis@...
        ----------------------
        Fry: I'm not a robot like you. I don't like having disks crammed
        into me... unless they're Oreos, and then only in the mouth.
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1 8:23 AM
          On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 11:05:13 AM, Curtis Cooley wrote:

          > On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 06:46, Ron Jeffries wrote:
          >> The show is available at www.marketplace.org . The segment on overtime is
          >> available in rm at: http://www.marketplace.org/shows/2003/07/31_mpp.html ,
          >> about half-way down the page. Click on the header there to hear the segment
          >> if you have a RealPlayer or equivalent.
          > The segment is about 11:30 in for those of you who don't want to listen
          > to the whole show.

          Yes. Though it looked like the link in the little writeup might go right to
          the segment? Did you try it, Curtis? I had already heard it so didn't do it
          again.

          And I couldn't figure out a way to scarf a copy of the file. Not sure it's
          a keeper anyway ...

          You have to either laugh or cry. -- Bill Rogers
        • andy.glew@amd.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1 11:16 AM
            > One statistic: one study showed that seven weeks at 50 hours,
            > and seven weeks at 40 hours, had the same productivity.

            I hope that you are meaning "production", total work,
            not productivity, total work / hour worked.
          • Curtis Cooley
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4 1:42 PM
              On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 08:23, Ron Jeffries wrote:
              > On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 11:05:13 AM, Curtis Cooley wrote:
              >
              > > On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 06:46, Ron Jeffries wrote:
              > >> The show is available at www.marketplace.org . The segment on overtime is
              > >> available in rm at: http://www.marketplace.org/shows/2003/07/31_mpp.html ,
              > >> about half-way down the page. Click on the header there to hear the segment
              > >> if you have a RealPlayer or equivalent.
              > > The segment is about 11:30 in for those of you who don't want to listen
              > > to the whole show.
              >
              > Yes. Though it looked like the link in the little writeup might go right to
              > the segment? Did you try it, Curtis? I had already heard it so didn't do it
              > again.

              No. I just listened to the whole thing while working then tried to pay
              more attention when the segment came up.

              > And I couldn't figure out a way to scarf a copy of the file. Not sure it's
              > a keeper anyway ...

              Perhaps just to get a copy of the studies mentioned. The study that
              started it all, that hours worked is not a major factor in job
              satisfaction, was pretty scary. Who the %^$# did they ask anyway? And
              what was the question?

              Version a) Would you be happier if you could work fewer hours?
              Version b) What's more important, getting a pay check or working fewer
              hours?

              Hmm, I wonder which version of the question the study used :)

              > Ron Jeffries
              > www.XProgramming.com
              > You have to either laugh or cry. -- Bill Rogers

              ======================
              Curtis R Cooley
              RADSoft
              Better software faster
              curtis@...
              ----------------------
              Amy: "Way to go, Professor, the plan worked."
              Mom: "Plan? What plan? I thought this was a spontaneous whirlwind of hot dry
              sex."
            • Michael Hill
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 23 10:12 AM
                Ron...

                Any word on Joe Robinson's sources?

                Hill

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 23 10:19 AM
                  On Saturday, August 23, 2003, at 1:12:13 PM, Michael Hill wrote:

                  > Any word on Joe Robinson's sources?

                  I have his book. I've sent a note to SAS Institute to see what they might
                  have. Otherwise nothing useful, but a nice note from Joe.

                  It's easier to act your way into a new way of thinking
                  than to think your way into a new way of acting. --Millard Fuller