RE: [XP] Re: What's a another name for...?

  • Ilja Preuss
    Message 1 of 44 , Aug 1, 2003
      shinobu@... wrote:

      >> For the first example, the problem wouldn't exist if your design
      >> would allow you to write:
      >> stuffs.forEach(new Block() {
      >> public void do(Object each) {
      >> ((Stuff)each).doYourStuff();
      >> }
      >> }
      > Sorry, but it looks a bit messy to me.

      That's partly because it is (it's Java, after all) and (in my
      experience) partly because you need to get used to it. I start to like
      it more and more, at least.

      >> stuffs.doAllYourStuffs();
      > I like this one better, too.

      Of course it could be imlemented in the way mentioned above, too.

      >> What do you think?
      > Java provides the Collection Framework, which I certainly don't want
      > to re-invent.

      You don't need to - just wrap it.

      > I think this problem is going to turn into "when to
      > introduce a new type". Martin Fowler wrote an article about this, if I
      > recall. I'll look it up again.

      Do you have an URL?

      Regards, Ilja
    • Victor Goldberg
      Message 44 of 44 , Aug 5, 2003
        I think we are having some miscommunication here. I wasn't talking about
        the sadness of pair programming. This can be quite rewarding, and a lot of
        fun. My discussion was triggered by Bib Martin's comment:

        >> .... But expect squalls. I've seen people
        >> quit over this issue. I've also seen them fired. I saw one VP
        >> disassemble a team because one member completely blocked any progress the
        >> team would otherwise have made.

        I was wandering about the sadness of seeing other people fail in situations
        were they could have succeded, and we were unable to change the outcome,
        because we were not a in a position to make our voices heard.