Re: [XP] What's a another name for...?

    Message 1 of 44 , Jul 31 6:00 AM
      Around Thursday, July 31, 2003, 7:56:25 AM, shinobu@... wrote:

      > Here's a coding convention question:

      > If two variables in the same scope represents the same thing,
      > only in a different way, what would you call them?

      > For instance, when I iterate through Collection's, I do something like:
      > Collection stuffs;
      > // lots of stuff
      > Iterator stuffsIterator = stuffs.iterator();
      > while (stuffsIterator.hasNext()) {
      > Stuff stuff = (Stuff) stuffsIterator.next();
      > stuff.doYourStuff();
      > }

      > What irritates me is the "stuffsIterator", because I'd rather not have
      > class names embedded in the variable names. And "Iterator" is not so
      > familiar in the every-day context.

      > Another example is when I convert some object to another:
      > String number;
      > // set "number" somehow
      > int numberAsInt = Integer.parseInt(number);

      > Any good ideas?

      Well, first of all, examples like these work better if all the variables
      are given names that make sense to the application, or the immediate usage,
      not just names that reflect type. The declarations already tell us type:
      our variable names need to communicate purpose.

      And in the second example, the phrase "String number" is just about enough
      to crack my brain as early in the morning as I first read it. I might do
      something like this:

      String accountBalanceInput;
      // set accountBalanceInput somehow;
      int accountBalance = Integer.parseInt(accountBalanceInput);

      In the second case, I use a language that permits me a better deal, as does
      Ilja. However, if I had to use iterators, I would behave as if they were
      mostly irrelevant, and would give them trivial names, still giving the
      other objects application or usage-explaining names, perhaps like this:

      Collection transactionsOverLimit;
      Iterator iter = transactionsOverLimit.iterator();
      while (iter.hasNext()) {
      Transaction overLimitTrans = (Transaction) iter.next();
      overLimitTrans.processLimitAction();
      }

      In C#, I would more likely say:

      foreach(Transaction overLimitTrans in transactionsOverLimit)
      overLimitTrans.ProcessLimitAction();

      The practices are not the knowing: they are a path to the knowing.
    • Victor Goldberg
      Message 44 of 44 , Aug 5, 2003
        I think we are having some miscommunication here. I wasn't talking about
        the sadness of pair programming. This can be quite rewarding, and a lot of
        fun. My discussion was triggered by Bib Martin's comment:

        >> .... But expect squalls. I've seen people
        >> quit over this issue. I've also seen them fired. I saw one VP
        completely
        >> disassemble a team because one member completely blocked any progress the
        >> team would otherwise have made.

        I was wandering about the sadness of seeing other people fail in situations
        were they could have succeded, and we were unable to change the outcome,
        because we were not a in a position to make our voices heard.

        Victor