Re: [XP] RE: Fixed Price/Scope XP

  • Brad Appleton
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2003
      On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 12:28:20PM +0100, Bayley, Alistair wrote:
      > Thanks. Obviously I'm getting hung up on the iteration
      > planning aspect of XP. My view of iteration planning
      > is that it's part of the development process (project
      > execution). However, because the customer/user decides
      > (or has some control over) what goes into each iteration
      > (i.e. the scope), that means there's also a scope-management
      > aspect to iteration planning

      Agree so far.

      > which makes the type of contract (fixed or variable scope) important.

      I think its important regardless of the type of contact. I think
      the type of contract in the above case impacts the formality
      of the scope management (and hence some of the communication
      and documentation overhead), particularly the formality of
      the change control methods employed.

      > The response (from you and Brad) seems to be: the customer
      > can schedule the stories agreed in the contract. Anything
      > else is managed by a change control mechanism.

      Yes. Although I would make the more general statement that
      "the customer can schedule the stories that have been 'agreed
      to', and anything else is managed by a change control mechanism"
      And the main difference between a fixed or variable scope agreement
      is the formality of communication and documentation used to
      (a) represent what is "agreed to",
      and
      (b) realize the "change control mechanism"