Re: [XP] Why I want to see the code ...

  • Brad Appleton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2003
      On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 04:32:25PM -0400, Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > When the code is before us, we can look for and possibly find interesting
      > and surprising examples of duplication, interesting and surprising examples
      > of intention revelation. When we only hold our separate imaginations before
      > us, we cannot seek in unison. Someone will learn something when the code is
      > before us: quite likely all of us will.

      What happens if I replace "code" with "stories" or "test" above? Is the statement still true?

      Or what about - Why I want to /hear/ the code ... Did anyone
      read a recent article (I think it was IEEE Computer) about
      mapping software to music as a debugging/comprehension aid? They
      took some of the mechanisms for attempting to visually depict
      the structure and logic of code and programs, and instead
      of trying to create a visual representation created an audio
      representation instead - creating a kind of music that they
      claimed revealed certain things (like smells and patterns)
      readily to the listener.