Re: 2 Week Iterations

  • John Brewer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2003
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lee <yfl@b...> wrote:
      > My project is currently on 3 week iterations. I have heard the 2 week
      > iterations are more effective. What benefits do I get from moving to a 2
      > week iteration from a 3 week iteration ?

      Shorter iterations give you more rapid feedback, but the meeting overhead is usually
      slightly higher. (Even though the iteration meetings are shorter, you have 50% more
      of them.)

      I wouldn't change iteration length casually, as it makes your historic velocity data
      harder to interpret. But 3 weeks is certainly at the upper end of common XP practice.
      I use 1 week iterations on small projects, and 3-hour "micro iterations" on my
      personal projects.

      John Brewer
      Jera Design

      Extreme Programming FAQ: http://www.jera.com/techinfo/xpfaq.html