RE: [XP] Wasted Software

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
      A former client of mine used a catchy term for such software: "shelfware".

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
        On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 10:27, Dan Rawsthorne wrote:
        > One of the big deals in XP (and agility in general) is that the software
        > developed is actually useful...
        >
        > Well, I remember the following numbers from a briefing about a major
        > survey of actual products:
        > - 45% of the software was never used
        > - 19% of the software was seldom used
        Perhaps this is the result when you do your requirements gathering 6
        months before you write a line of code.

        Seems to me that when you build a Requirements Specification Document
        that is etched in stone then never let the developers ever actually talk
        to the customer, you have, roughly, a 45% or greater chance of building
        the wrong thing ;)

        > Does anybody here have the source for these numbers?
        >
        > Thanks, Dan ;-)
        >
        > Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, Sr. Consultant
        > www.netobjectives.com
        > DrDan@...
        > office: 425-269-8628
        >
        > Net Objectives' vision is effective software development without
        > suffering. Our mission is to assist software development teams in
        > accomplishing this through a combination of training and mentoring.
        >

        > -

        ======================
        Curtis R Cooley
        RADSoft
        Better software faster
        curtis@...
        ----------------------
        Pfft. Now you tell me.

        -- Homer Simpson, finding out that working at a nuclear
        plant can make one sterile
        I Married Marge
      • Dan Rawsthorne
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
          Let me be more specific. Shelfware is software that is delivered and
          never used. These numbers are for software that is being used, and
          represent the percentage of functionality that shouldn't have been
          developed - and probably wouldn't have been if the project had been
          agile...

          I remember they showed up in a briefing given either by the SEI (Mark
          Paulk, maybe?) or by somebody talking about the Standish Group. However,
          I can't find reference at either of those places. What I'm looking for
          is an "original" reference to the research that showed that:
          - 45% of the functionality was never used
          - 19% of it was seldom used

          I'm sure that somebody in this group has the reference, and I could
          really use it. Thanks again.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > http://www.messagelabs.com

          > -

          -
        • Steven Gordon
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
            I am under the impression that the Standish Group Chaos report
            (http://www.standishgroup.com/sample_research/chaos_1994_1.php) is the most
            complete collection of the kind of statistics you are seeking. I see
            statistics about percentages of incomplete functionality, but not
            percentages of unused functionality.

            Let me be more specific. Shelfware is software that is delivered and
            never used. These numbers are for software that is being used, and
            represent the percentage of functionality that shouldn't have been
            developed - and probably wouldn't have been if the project had been
            agile...

            I remember they showed up in a briefing given either by the SEI (Mark
            Paulk, maybe?) or by somebody talking about the Standish Group. However,
            I can't find reference at either of those places. What I'm looking for
            is an "original" reference to the research that showed that:
            - 45% of the functionality was never used
            - 19% of it was seldom used

            I'm sure that somebody in this group has the reference, and I could
            really use it. Thanks again.

            Dan ;-)

            Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, Sr. Consultant
            www.netobjectives.com
            DrDan@...
            office: 425-269-8628

            Net Objectives' vision is effective software development without
            suffering. Our mission is to assist software development teams in
            accomplishing this through a combination of training and mentoring.

            -

            ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

          • Randy Coulman
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
              Dan Rawsthorne wrote:
              > One of the big deals in XP (and agility in general) is that the software
              > developed is actually useful...
              >
              > Well, I remember the following numbers from a briefing about a major
              > survey of actual products:
              > - 45% of the software was never used
              > - 19% of the software was seldom used
              >
              > Does anybody here have the source for these numbers?

              I saw them on a slide at SD West in March at a talk by Mary Poppendieck.
              She cites a "Standish Group Study Reported in 2000 Chaos Report."

              It's
              - 45% never used
              - 19% rarely
              - 16% sometimes
              - 13% often
              - 7% always

              Randy
              --
              Randy Coulman
              Senior Software Engineer
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
                Thanks, I can chase that down now... Dan ;-)

                -
              • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
                  > > One of the big deals in XP (and agility in general) is that the software
                  > > developed is actually useful...
                  > >
                  > > Well, I remember the following numbers from a briefing about a major
                  > > survey of actual products:
                  > > - 45% of the software was never used
                  > > - 19% of the software was seldom used
                  > >
                  > > Does anybody here have the source for these numbers?
                  > >

                  > I saw them on a slide at SD West in March at a talk by Mary Poppendieck.
                  > She cites a "Standish Group Study Reported in 2000 Chaos Report."
                  >
                  > It's
                  > - 45% never used
                  > - 19% rarely
                  > - 16% sometimes
                  > - 13% often
                  > - 7% always

                  If it's never used, it seems to be a waste. The other cases could
                  well be necessary functionality that is only used when special
                  cases come up.

                  Still, 45% of unnecessary functionality is quite a waste...

                  John Roth

                • paul_downes@providian.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
                    From a presentation I have:

                    Standish 2002 CHAOS Report

                    * 15% of projects failed outright
                    * Another 51% "challenged" - late, over budget or with reduced
                    functionality
                    * Late, over budget or reduced functionality
                    * 54% of the originally defined features delivered (down from 67% in 2001)
                    * 45% of features delivered are never used

                    http://www.standishgroup.com/chaos/toc.php
                    (Link doesn't provide the above data, but may have at one time.)

                    There is a DOD study quoted at:

                    http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstalk/2002/04/leishman.html

                    Cheers . . . Paul

                    "Dan Rawsthorne"
                    <DrDan@NetObjecti To: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
                    ves.com> cc:
                    07/02/2003 04:27
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    extremeprogrammin

                    Thanks, I can chase that down now... Dan ;-)

                    Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, Sr. Consultant
                    www.netobjectives.com
                    DrDan@...
                    office: 425-269-8628

                    Net Objectives' vision is effective software development without
                    suffering. Our mission is to assist software development teams in
                    accomplishing this through a combination of training and mentoring.

                    Warning : The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and then delete it from your computer. All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the Providian Financial corporate e-mail system and is subject to archiving and review by someone other than the recipient.