Re: [XP] release planning and iteration planning...

  • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
      From: "basem415" <basem415.at.yahoo.com@...>
      To: "extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com"
      Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 3:16 PM
      Subject: [XP] release planning and iteration planning...

      > I've got confusion between release planning and iteration planning
      > where both have the same activities cycle.
      > can any one tell me what is the difference?

      The time frame.

      Iteration planning slots stories into the *current* release,
      so that you've got the right amount of high priority work.

      Release planning is longer term; it tentatively determines
      which stories can fit into the release, and also tentatively
      slots them into however many iterations are availible
      before the release. The emphasis here is on "tentative."
      The longer your planning horizon, the more likely that
      whatever you've planned is going to change.

      John Roth