Tradeoff between duplication and complexity (was RE: [XP] User St ories & Requirements)

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2003
      Edmund makes a very good point. At some point, a little duplication may not
      be worth the cost of the additional work and complexity of elimination.

      For example, in C++ I personally find templates very complex to work with,
      and would tolerate a certain amount of duplication if the only way to avoid
      it was to complicate my code with templated classes. Fortunately,
      data-driven approaches and design patterns facilitate the elimination of
      duplication without using C++ templates. I suppose it would depend on the
      language and one's comfort level with the various features of the language.