Re: licensing software engineers (was Re: [XP] IEEE SWEBOK Is Loo king for Reviewers--They Don't Even Mention XP, Agile, etc.)

  • Steve Berczuk
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
      Lawyer jokes aside, here are a couple of differences that come to mind:
      - you don't need as much of an infrastructure to write software as you
      do to practice law. This probably leads to the conclusion that it is
      harder for a sw developers to self-regulate admission to "the circle."
      - (Perhaps) people who hire software developers are less likely to be
      perceived as being 'uninformed,' so the idea of 'certification' as
      protection applies less. However, most of the time when I hear that
      people are looking for help with a legal matter they ask for referrals.
      So the professional certification issue is secondary.... (ie, people
      care about other people's experiences rather than credentials pe se)

      Having said all that, there are a few things that I'm not clear on what
      the relevant laws, professional association rules, etc are when it comes
      to practicing law. I know that you don't need a lawyer to do a number of
      legal things (though getting legal advice may be advisable):
      - writing a contract
      - filing for divorce, etc
      So, short of things that involve a trial, I'm a but confused... If I
      wanted to write advice on a legal contract, are there any relevant
      laws/rules about who I can go to for help?

      To help us understand if there is an analogy, can anyone who knows
      explain (briefly) ?

      -steve

      --
      Steve Berczuk | steve@... | http://www.berczuk.com
      SCM Patterns: Effective Teamwork, Practical Integration
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
        And Lawyers are only allowed to practice law in their own country etc.
        SW crosses borders, so would licencing prevent someone from
        buying/using a component developed in another country and not
        developed by a "Licensed" developer.

        Licensing would never work - Licensed by who?

        And look what licensing did to the lawyers profession.
        We ALL love lawyers ;-)

        Chris

        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Steve Berczuk
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
          chrisl_dev wrote:

          > And Lawyers are only allowed to practice law in their own country etc.
          > SW crosses borders, so would licencing prevent someone from
          > buying/using a component developed in another country and not
          > developed by a "Licensed" developer.

          excellent point!

          > Licensing would never work - Licensed by who?

          > And look what licensing did to the lawyers profession.
          > We ALL love lawyers ;-)
          Well, the few times that I've needed then, I liked MY lawyer.
          The other party's lawyer was sometimes another story :)

          -Steve

          --
          Steve Berczuk | steve@... | http://www.berczuk.com
          SCM Patterns: Effective Teamwork, Practical Integration
          www.scmpatterns.com
        • allendeveloper
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2003
            Which of them/us are you suggesting has the conscience? :^)

            FWIW, we have licensing in Texas. Since 1998.
            Of course, to date, we have no exam. So, if
            you develop software in Texas, one of the
            following applies.
            o You have been in the business 12 or more years since
            a relevant degree (bachelor or above) and can get
            12 LPEs to endorse you for your PE license.
            p You are employed by one company. They give you any
            title they want. They are responsible to see to it
            that an LPE signs off on any work requiring, well,
            an LPE to sign off on it.
            o You are not called an engineer and the work you do
            is not characterized as engineering work. You could
            conceivably be a "developer", a "scientist", a "consultant",
            an "analyst", etc. You find some credible category for
            your work that doesn't use the label "engineering".
            So, you can't get there from here.

            OTOH, if you're not an engineer and you don't do work
            called engineering work, then you are merely as accountable
            as, say, a rocket scientist, a garbageman, or a teacher.

            Go figure.

            --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Bentley, Jason"

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/