Re: [XP] User Stories

  • Michael Lee
    Message 1 of 74 , Jun 2, 2003
      > Then that means, I take it, that you don't have a release plan that tells
      > you reasonably accurately what you'll have done by some end date?

      Yes we do have a release plan but things are still changing in the plan
      quite frequently. So I can't justify trying to plan too far into the future.
      In most projects this is the case unless the plans are set in stone ;-) Not
      every agile thing to do.

      Michael Lee
      Thoughtworks.com
      Message 74 of 74 , Jun 2, 2003
        On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 5:09:38 PM, Michael Lee wrote:

        > Ron

        >> I find that some people want to know how much will be done by when on most
        >> projects. If your "big story" estimates are inaccurate, wouldn't that make
        >> it hard to answer that kind of question?
        > Yes that's true. The customer has been given the expectation that the more
        > complex story cards are more inaccurate. We are happy to make it more
        > accurate and break it down if they really care about it but they need to
        > plan it into an iteration for us to spike it and do more analyst on it :-)

        >> How are you managing to get around, past, or through that kind of concern?

        > We are managing the customer expectation by having him sit with us in the
        > development area, being honest with the customer, ensuring that he
        > understand if he wants more accurate estimates he will be reducing team
        > velocity but its his call and we keep close track of estimate at completion
        > in ideal days of the project for the current release (ie. monitor any
        > movements).

        > What do you think of the way I have gone about estimating so far ?

        It seems OK to me, you seem to know what's accurate, what's not, and how to
        transform from not to accurate.

        If the customer is OK with not having a solid big picture, that's great.
        I've just so rarely seen them be comfortable with not seeing the end.

        Keep us posted!

        The opinions expressed here /are/ necessarily those of XProgramming.com.
        But I might change my mind.