Re: [XP] Version marking

  • nwaston2003
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
      Thanks
      Your suggestion is ok. It does not help with being able to label a
      release as "PR" so that if it gets outside of the company then we
      will easily know it is pre-release.
      We are using Visual Studio and C#, and building into an msi
      installer. Ideally we do not want to even build the msi installer
      again.
      Nigel

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Robert Blum <r.blum@g...>
      wrote:
      > Two things come to mind. One is the matter of acceptance tests. If
      it
      > passes all your acceptance tests, your evaluators should be
      satisfied,
      > or suggest new tests. What are they testing that is not covered by
      > acceptance tests? And why is it not covered?
      >
      > In case relying on ATs alone is not possible, I suggest doing the
      > simplest thing that could possibly work - move the version number
      into
      > a text file. Easily changed, no rebuild required. Or have a file
      that
      > by its existence marks your version as "PR".
      >
      > - Robert
    • William Pietri
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
        On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 23:29, nwaston2003 wrote:
        > Thanks
        > Your suggestion is ok. It does not help with being able to label a
        > release as "PR" so that if it gets outside of the company then we
        > will easily know it is pre-release.
        > We are using Visual Studio and C#, and building into an msi
        > installer. Ideally we do not want to even build the msi installer
        > again.

        I'm afraid Windows stuff is so much greek to me, but it sounds like you
        should make the "PR" marker something external to the build, as your
        process treats it that way. For example, the "about" box could check
        over the internet to find out whether build 1234 is a PR or a golden
        build and change its look accordingly.

        Or the "PR" part could be kept in the installer's configuration file, so
        that different artwork would be installed depending on whether it was PR
        or golden. Then the QA team can test both modes of operation. The
        default mode would be "PR", of course, but the last step in the release
        process would be to change that one bit in the configuration file.

        William

        --
        brains for sale: http://scissor.com/