Re: What would have to be true... revisited

  • extreme-programming@m.gmane.org
    Message 1 of 31 , May 30, 2003
      "banshee858" <cnett858@...> writes:

      <snip/>
      > I was very eager to investigate FIT hoping it would solve my testing
      > issues, but I think I do not understand its use. I think FIT is
      > supposed to test the business logic of an application. Is that right
      > or wrong? However, if that is true, doesn't the customer need to
      > know the business logic interface in order to test to it?
      > Specifically what methods to call and the signature. I know I am
      > missing something here, because it feels like something is missing.
      <snip/>
      I have been working with a co-conspiritor to build a FIT engine for
      our system. The lights went on for me when I saw a description like:

      Imagine telling someone how to use the application over the
      telephone. Write down those instructions in a FIT table.

      --
      Jason L. Almeter
      jalmeter underscore 99 yahoo
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 4, 2003

        > I guess the term "beta" is a misnomer in this situation, since it
        is not
        > quite what people traditionally think of as "beta testing" where
        > features are frozen and we are just looking for bugs. We are
        getting
        > feedback from real users outside the company, which is our primary
        > purpose. A good side effect is that the program gets run on a
        number of
        > different environments. This means I get to know that we don't run
        on
        > platform X or don't print with printer Y earlier than later.
        >
        > We can eventually freeze features and have a more traditional beta
        > testing period before we ship. However, the ideal situation is for
        > every iteration to be shippable, eliminating the need for
        traditional
        > Beta testing.

        This sounds way cool and something I am trying to accomplish where I
        work. Thanks for showing me it can be done.

        Carlton