Re: licensing software engineers (was Re: [XP] IEEE SWEBOK Is Looking for Reviewers--They Don't Even Mention XP, Agile, etc.)

  • Chris Hanson
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 1, 2003
      On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 04:45 PM, Cem Kaner wrote:
      > WHEN there is
      > malpractice, I like to see the malpractitioner get sued, disciplined,
      > pay for it, and in the event of repeat malperformances, get summarily
      > booted out of the profession.

      Do you think it should be possible for a journalist to be "booted out
      of the profession"? I'm not talking about their reputation being
      ruined and being unable to find work, but being legally prevented from
      practicing any further journalism.

      Writing software is an act of speech just as much as writing a poem or
      writing a newspaper article, and as such it MUST be afforded all the
      same protections.

      Speech is NOT, as someone put it, simply "whatever the courts say it
      is." Speech is human expression, and if the courts disagree, we need
      to fix the courts, not simply sit by idly while our fundamental human
      rights are trod upon. Remember, at least in the United States our
      system is founded upon the fact that rights are inherent and our
      government is there to protect them; rights by definition *cannot* be
      "granted."

      This is why I will never support licensing of software professionals,
      and why nobody else should either. It amounts to the government
      turning fundamental rights held by all into privileges to held by a
      minority.

      -- Chris

      --
      Chris Hanson, bDistributed.com, Inc. | Email: cmh@...
      Custom Application Development | Phone: +1-847-372-3955
      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 2, 2003
        On Sat, 31 May 2003, Cem Kaner wrote:

        > As to the practices that will be required on "licensed" jobs, I think
        > SWEBOK lays out the baseline. A lawsuit for professional negligence
        > asserts that an individual service provider failed to provide services
        > that conform to the accepted minimum standard of competence in the
        > profession.

        With the licensed software engineer held accountable? This would be a
        HUGE change. For instance, as the team lead on a project I certainly
        would not allow the project to be shipped by my manager despite known
        bugs. This is a common enough practice that it strikes true fear into
        me.